If you are in the process of moving to a new home, it might be helpful to throw a packing party . If for whatever reason, you have decided not the use the packing services that a relocation company offers, you will have to tackle this task on your own. This is where your friends can jump in to help. Not sure how to organize a successful packing party? Don’t worry, Long Distance USA Movers has prepared some tips for you.
What is a Packing Party and How Do I Throw One
A packing party is a get-together with your friends with the goal of helping you pack your stuff. In other words, you will invite your friends over and they will all get to help you prepare for moving while having a fun time together. This can be a great bonding experience, as well as a chance to say your goodbyes before you move to your new home. However, there is more to organizing this event than just getting people together. There are specific steps you need to take ahead of time in order to prepare.
How to Prepare for a Packing Party
Before you set the time and date for your get-together, you will want to take some preparatory steps. Here is what you’ll have to do:
- Get all the necessary supplies. Don’t expect your friends to come equipped with duct tape and bubble wrap. You will need to obtain all the required supplies yourself. This includes boxes of various shapes and sizes, different protective materials such as paper or foam peanuts, markers for labeling your boxes, and so on.
- Separate your stuff. Are there any things you’re not taking to your new home? Or perhaps things you’d rather handle yourself? Then create a no-pack pile and mark it clearly so your friends know not to put it into boxes.
- Decide who to invite. The saying “the more the merrier” is not always true when it comes to these things. Depending on the size of your place, more than four or five people could be a crowd. Be careful when deciding who to invite.
- Figure out a strategy. To ensure the successful completion of the task, you should develop a strategy. For example, you could assign each friend a room in your home to pack into boxes. Alternatively, you could create lists of items and divide them into groups that each person should tackle. Whatever you come up with, the important thing is that it is a strategy that works.
- Don’t forget some snacks. All work and no play makes for a dull packing experience. Don’t forget to prepare some snacks and schedule regular breaks. Your friends are there to help you, but you should make sure they’re not working on an empty stomach. However, you should probably avoid alcohol or heavy foods that make any work even more difficult.
- Make your intentions clear. Don’t invite friends over for a get-together and surprise them with this daunting task. Make it clear when you invite them that your plan is for them to help you. This way, if they don’t feel like participating, they have an opportunity to back out.
- Say thank you. Sometimes, we take our friends for granted. So make sure you show them gratitude for helping you prepare for the moving day. You could come up with a gift basket for them, or maybe just a thank you note. Whatever the case is, show them that you appreciate their effort.
Do It a Few Weeks Before You Leave
Don’t organize this get-together the day before the relocation date. You might have a competent and enthusiastic team helping you, but that doesn’t mean you should get too comfortable. There is always a possibility that you won’t get to finish the whole thing on time or that you will run out of supplies. Just to be safe, you should organize this get-together at least a week before the moving date. This is the only way to make sure you’re well-prepared for the move to your new place when the time comes.
When Should You Change Your Plans
Are you feeling a little uneasy about this idea? Perhaps people are starting to cancel last-minute, or maybe you’re just not comfortable with the idea of someone who isn’t a professional handling your fragile stuff. Or perhaps the relocation date is simply too close for comfort. Whatever the case is, don’t hesitate to cancel your get-together if you feel that is the right thing to do.
In fact, we believe that the best way to go about this task is to hire professionals. A reliable relocation company will have experts who have been trained to properly pack a wide array of things, from fragile china to bulky furniture. With them by your side, you won’t have to worry about any of your stuff getting damaged, broken, or lost.
If you haven’t found the right relocation company yet, there’s no need to worry. You can count on Long Distance USA Movers. We have all the necessary experience and expertise to make sure your relocation goes without a hitch. Give us a call today, and one of our customer service agents will happily provide you with all the information you’ll need regarding our moving services, car shipping, storage, and so on. They will answer all your questions and calculate a relocation price estimate for you. Contact us today to get the best available relocation date. We’re looking forward to hearing from you.