Thinking about cleaning the house you recently moved into without a hoover is unimaginable. This sweeping device keeps the place clean and tidy in a more relaxed and faster way. That’s why you should know how to pack your vacuum cleaner when moving to a new home to preserve the device and its parts. Here are some useful tips on how to properly prepare the device for the upcoming move.
What to Know Before Packing Your Vacuum Cleaner for Moving
First of all, before moving to a new house, you should decide whether to transport the device to your future place of residence or just buy a new one when you arrive there. You should know that packing this item requires time and transporting it requires some money. If you are hesitant about what to do, here are some factors you should consider:
- Year of fabrication – If it’s new or still well within its warranty period, it would be a good idea to keep it.
- Original price – If it was expensive, you will be less willing to part with it.
- Noise level – Maybe you’ve always had a problem with unbearable noise your carpet sweeper generates. That can be a perfect sign that it’s time to get a new one.
- Attachments – If your vacuum cleaner has a good selection of add-ons for a better cleaning process, then you should consider keeping it. But if your model is basic and old, then you should think about purchasing a new, modern and more efficient version.
- HEPA filter – This filter is crucial for people suffering from allergies. So if your cleaning device has this add-on, it is understandable if you decided to keep it.
- Power – Suction power is one of the decisive factors when it comes to efficient house cleaning. If your present cleaning appliance doesn’t have enough strength, replacing it with a more powerful model will make your life easier and happier.
- Weight and size – When you think about your future home, then recall how much space there is for your big cleaner. Maybe it’s too heavy and massive for transport and if there is not enough space for it, you will end up needing additional storage space.
- Current condition – By asking yourself if you’re satisfied with the performance of your cleaning device, you can quickly solve this dilemma. So, take it or leave it.
Few Types of Vacuum Cleaners
There are five primary shapes of hoovers and each of them performs a more or less different function. Some combine these forms to provide higher efficiency and productivity. These types are:
- Handheld – smaller and simpler model, easy to pack.
- Upright – perhaps the most popular and the most efficient when it’s about house cleaning. It is a bit bulky and has more parts and accessories.
- Stick – has a long stick-like handle and a slender construction. It can be very suitable for packing since its slimness doesn’t require too much space.
- Canister – a combination of the previous two models
- Robot/Autonomous – the most uncomplicated type for packing and moving. The usual shape is circle and the additional parts are reduced to a minimum.
Useful Tips on How to Pack Your Vacuum Cleaner When Moving
Your hoover should be the last item to pack because the chances are you will be needing it as soon as you arrive at your future place. But this is possible in case you’ve rented a transport vehicle for a local move or when you’ve decided to move the item in your van. But if you hired long-distance professional moving services, then the best option is to pack up the device in advance and load it onto a truck together with the rest of the belongings.
Use Original Box for Packing
If you still have it, you should use the original packaging box because it offers manufacturer-guaranteed maximum protection. Your job will be to prepare the sweeping device for packing following the instructions down below and place it inside the original packaging. If you don’t have the original packaging, try to obtain some free sturdy materials or buy boxes and other supplies from your mover.
Steps to Properly Pack a Vacuum Cleaner
Depending on the model of your hoover, there are several phases of the packing process. Follow these steps carefully to pack your dust sweeper adequately.
- Prepare the device before transportation. What does it mean? You should throw away the current dust bag or empty and clean the see-through canister (dustbin). Check if there is any carpet cleaning fluid left to prevent a big mess in transit.
- Disassemble the hoover to pack it more easily.
- If you have a robotic vacuum, the best solution is to pack it into the original box, because you’re going to need all the protection you can get.
- In case you don’t have the manufacturer’s box, any strong cardboard box that is a bit larger than the dimensions of your cleaning device will do the job.
- Strengthen the bottom of the box with crumpled paper, or use newspapers as a much cheaper option.
- Additional safety step is wrapping one or two furniture blankets around the body of your vacuum cleaner. When it comes to packing a robotic sweeper, use an initial protective layer of bubble wrap and after that use a blanket as the top layer.
- After wrapping in blankets, place the cleaning appliance in the paper-cushioned box. Any remaining space can be filled with old pieces of cloth. That’s how you will prevent the vacuum from shifting inside the container during the transit.
- It would be preferable to pack the cleaner and its accessories in the same box. Of course, only if there is enough space. In the case of packing them separately, use the same method of blanket wrapping to prevent damage.
- The last step is to shut and secure the top coverings of the cardboard box, tape it and write a note for movers for carefully handling.
If you are in the middle of the moving process, contact a professional moving company with reliable and efficient packing and unpacking services. They will take care of your belongings and keep them safe from damage.